When most people think of safety awareness they think of fire drills at school, refresher courses on the rules of the road, or themed weeks designed to bring attention to safety in the workplace. What most people don’t think of is how these same dangers can also occur in their homes.
Each year, more than 1.3 million people are hurt from simple accidents that occurred on the home front. In 2011, it was reported that more than one million people ages 65 years and older were treated in emergency rooms for injuries that occurred in their homes. Many of these accidents resulted from a deficiency in home maintenance. It is important to regularly check your home in order to find potential problems. Here’s a great checklist that will guide you toward better home safety.
- Look for frayed or cracked electrical cords on appliances to prevent electrical fires from occurring; also, make sure the cords are out of the way of high traffic areas
- Check step stools for splitting or cracked materials
- Edges and bumps in throw rugs are minimized by placing a non-skid mat beneath it to help keep it in place
- Inspect the fireplace and chimney for fire hazards
- Keep all walkways and hallways free of debris
- Check the medicine cabinets for safe storage of medication
- Ensure faucets are in working order- check the water for possible burn hazards
- Make sure the area around the bed is clear of items that can cause tripping
- In the basement, garage, and/or workshop- check the breaker boxes for damage, shock, and fire hazards; also check for proper ventilation and that flammable liquids are stored properly
- Inspect the handrails and steps of stairs for any damage or weakness; make sure areas are brightly lit
- Check and change out the batteries in fire alarm detectors
No matter what your age is, keeping your home safe is the most important thing you can do. Of course, if you have limited mobility or other health conditions, it’s a good idea to trust a care professional to assess your home’s safety. For more tips or inquiries on how our on how our home care services can help with safety in the home, please call Synergy HomeCare at 1-(877) 484-4311.