VA Grants for Home Renovations to Age in Place

VA Grants for Home Renovations to Age in Place

If you’re one of the millions of adults planning to age at home, making some home modifications is a smart investment for your future comfort and safety. And if you’re a military veteran, there’s good news when it comes to paying for those modifications—the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers several programs that provide grants to disabled veterans for home modifications and renovations. 

Each program has different requirements, so it’s important to review the options to know which one you may qualify for. Some of the programs a veteran could qualify for include:

The Home Improvements and Structural Alterations Grant (HISA). The HISA grant can be used for home improvements and alterations for veterans and service members who have a service-related condition that requires adaptations for the following:

  • Entrances/exits
  • The use of toilets and showers
  • Accessibility to kitchen/bathroom sinks and counters
  • Improving driveways/paths with permanent ramps
  • Improvements for plumbing/electrical systems for home medical equipment

Special Home Adaptation Grant (SHA). The SHA grant is available to veterans or service members who have a service-related disability due to blindness in both eyes with 20/200 visual acuity or less, the anatomical loss or loss of use of both hands and severe respiratory ailments. Learn more.  

The Specially Adapted Housing Grant (SAH). This grant is available to veterans or service members who have severe and total service-connected disabilities to help them construct or modify a home that will better accommodate their abilities. There are different requirements that can be met in order to be eligible for this grant. Learn more.  

Temporary Residence Adaptation Grant (TRA). The TRA grant is designed to help veterans/service members who are residing in a housing unit owned by a family member. The grant can be used to adapt the current housing unit to meet the needs of the veteran/service member. Learn more

To learn more about grants available to veterans, go to the VA’s webpage on Disability Housing Grants for Veterans.

Call us | 877-432-2692

Learn more about the many ways SYNERGY HomeCare supports veterans and their caregivers.
877-432-2692  877-432-2692