Caregiving for older loved ones can be taxing on even the most resilient people. That’s why self care is so important—it allows you to reset and restore balance. Looking for a way to recharge? Here are seven stress busters designed for family caregivers.
- Get active. Any form of exercise from yoga, walking, gardening or riding a bike can act as a natural stress reliever. Physical activity causes your body to release endorphins, energizing you while allowing your mind to focus on your body’s movements rather than stressful thoughts.
- Meditate. Meditation is another way to refocus your mind. Guided meditation, guided imagery, visualization and other forms of meditation can be practiced anywhere at any time. You can also try deep breathing. Taking a few minutes out of your day to practice meditation can significantly reduce stress.
- Socialize. Humans are social by nature, but as a family caregiver, you may feel isolated because you are not connecting with others in a meaningful way. Social contact is a good stress reliever because it can offer distraction and provide support. Make it a point to call friends and family for a quick catch up. Even chatting with the cashier at the supermarket can provide some energizing interaction.
- Turn on some tunes. Music is a good distraction and also helps reduce muscle tension and decrease stress hormones. Try listening to music in the car or singing along while doing chores. You can even incorporate music into your one-on-one time with your loved one by having an impromptu dance party or an “oldies” day.
- Keep a journal. A journal is a safe outlet where you can write down your thoughts and let out pent up frustration, fears and other feelings without unloading on the people you love.
- Get a change of scenery. Having a change of scenery can help take your mind off things for a while. It’s helpful to spend some time outside, observing the clouds, trees or birds, which can help put problems into perspective.
- Seek help from outside resources. As a family caregiver, you may feel overwhelmed. To avoid caregiver burnout, consider professional respite care from a home care company like SYNERGY HomeCare. From a few hours or a few days, professional caregivers create space for you to focus on yourself and help you achieve much-needed balance in your life.
Click here for more free Respite Care resources, including our free Family Caregiver Ultimate Guide.
Find out what SYNERGY HomeCare can do for you and your family.