In recognition of healthy aging month this September, aging expert Dr. Macie Smith offers the following tips to support your health as you age. And while the majority of these tips don’t cost a thing, they represent an investment in perhaps the most valuable outcome as we age–good health!
- Stay active. Find an activity that you enjoy doing for 30 minutes a day, five days a week. That will fulfill the recommended 150 minutes of exercise.
- Stay socially engaged. Have a friend over for lunch; find a walking partner; call your family or friends.
- Pursue your passion. Figure out what you really love to do and do it as much as possible.
- Keep your brain stimulated. Like your muscles, your brain needs activity, too. Play timed games and learn new things, like a language, a card game or how to play a musical instrument.
- Eat healthy foods. Make a point to add a variety of bright colored fruits and green leafy vegetables to the foods you already enjoy. Choose low-fat, low-salt and low-sugar items.
- Reduce stressors. Incorporate relaxation techniques into your life such as breathing, meditation, massage and journaling.
- Manage multiple conditions. Often referred to as comorbidities, this is another way of saying you have more than one health condition, such as high blood pressure and diabetes. It’s critical that you manage all of your conditions with the appropriate specialist to promote optimal health.
Dr. Macie P. Smith is a licensed gerontology social worker who is focused on helping families support their aging loved ones through long-term care. Specifically, Dr. Smith educates caregivers on how to care for seniors with dementia. She is an advocate for specialized care and assists others in finding a way to provide a better quality of life for individuals with Alzheimer’s or dementia. Dr. Smith has dedicated over 22 years of her life working in gerontology and assisting families in finding personalized solutions for dementia care.
At SYNERGY HomeCare, we believe our purpose is to provide the best care possible.